Friday, September 13, 2013

How to Fail at Cooking

I wish I could say that this post was full of great recipe ideas, or pictures of food I made/managed not to burn, or even tales of success from attempted Pinterest dishes. 

My Pinterest food board, titled, "Recipes I Could Actually Make!", hasn't actually seen the inside of my parents' kitchen.

Don't judge me.



At first, the fact that I can't/am too lazy to cook really bothered me. I can make a mean pot of spaghetti, I can brown ground beef like you've never seen, and I can make this amazing taco salad.

However, if you're trying to throw in fancy words and phrases like, "Steam", "Tablespoon", "Simmer", "Measure",  "Broil", "Oven", Timer", "Don't eat the raw dough".... I'm kind of lost after that.

I decided the other night that I was going to cook for my man! That's right. Cook. I quickly snapped a screen shot of a delicious (easy) looking recipe... crayoned a quick shopping list of ingredients on my nearest empty envelope (there was no paper/adult writing utensils anywhere near me, and I had thrown away my old receipts/note holders, as I like to call them), and the excitement set in. That's right, this Martha Stewart-in-training was going to make a very complicated meal of BBQ Chicken Pizza things for her fiancĂ©. (Chicken, cheese barbecue sauce, pita things... advanced level stuff.) If he ever doubted that I was ready for marriage.... I was about to squash all of those fears.

Then.... I felt it. The anxiety. Do I have to use the oven? How much will this cost? Is it too late to cook? Is there a curfew on this kind of thing? Wow, didn't realize it was already 7pm.... 

My knight in shining armor comes over and I tell him, "I'm going to cook for you. Let's stop by Publix on our way in." 

Kevin leans in and whispers the magic words, "It's late, I'm starving, and we're broke. Let's get McDonalds."

I can't wait to marry this man. 

No comments:

Post a Comment